Recreational Gymnastics During Covid-19
There are strict policies in place during this time as we enter Phase 3 of Return to Play. Only class attendees, athletes, and staff are allowed inside the building. No spectators are permitted entry to the building, with the exception of parent & tot classes. The lobby of the building is closed during this phase.
- Fill out, print, and bring this form (required only once for 2020-2021 year) - Release of Liability Form
- Fill out, print, and bring this form (required only once for 2020-2021 year) - Participant Declaration of Compliance
- Fill out, print, and bring, OR submit online EVERY DAY PRIOR TO ATTENDING CLASS - Daily Screening Checklist
- Come dressed to participate in gymnastics with a labelled water bottle - there are no change rooms available at this time
- Talk to your gymnasts that there will be changes to gymnastics classes; hand sanitizing, social distancing, cleaning equipment have all been implemented in DDGC protocols
- Know that your gymnast is required to wear a mask in all public spaces if they are over the age of 12 for all non-physical components of attending class
- Know that your gymnast is strongly encouraged to wear a mask in all public spaces if they are between the ages of 3 to 11 for all non-physical components of attending class
- Know that your gymnast is not encouraged to wear a mask if they are under the age of 3
- Talk to your gymnasts about you not being able to go into the building with them, and that you'll eagerly meet them outside when they're done to hear all about their class (unless you're in a parent & tot class)
- If your family requires different hand sanitizer or protocols, begin a conversation with us via email or phone
- A DDGC coach will meet you at the exterior door of the building no later than 5 minutes prior to your class
- If a DDGC coach is not at the door within 5 minutes, DO NOT enter the building, please ring the door bell and be patient with us.
- This coach will gather your paperwork on day 1, and ask if you've submitted the Screening Checklist for the day online
- Your athlete (and you, if you're in a Parent & Tot class) will be asked to use hand sanitizer prior to entry to the building. Guardians for the Parent & Tot classes will be asked to put on their masks outside and to keep it on for the duration of the class
- DDGC coach will bring your athlete in to the facility through the designated entrance door, and lead them to the gymnastics area, where your athlete will be able to put their 'outdoor clothing' in a cubby, along with their shoes
- Your athlete will be asked to use hand sanitizer again after they've dropped off their shoes and clothes in the cubby
- DDGC staff will clean the surfaces and equipment when a new class goes on a new set of equipment - athletes may be asked to participate in this to speed up the process
- DDGC staff will conduct a deeper cleaning at least once a day, and up to three times a day
- DDGC staff will bring your athlete to the door at the end of class, using the designated exit door
- DDGC coaches will all be wearing masks while they wait to greet you at the door, and all throughout the class. This is to protect themselves and you.
- On rainy or weather-poor days, DDGC coaches will meet you at the exterior door for check-in, but will bring the participants into the lobby while they wait for class to begin. In these circumstances, it will be important for athletes to not touch any surfaces in the lobby, as janitorial staff are only cleaning the typical high touch areas such as door handles.
- If you have any suggestions as to how DDGC can better implement the changes imposed, please contact the office and we will gladly have a conversation with you and hear your suggestions
Athletes displaying any symptoms of illness that could be Covid-19 related CANNOT attend class. To return to classes, DDGC requires a physician's note, approving them to return to sport.
For more information regarding DDGC's Safety Plan, please refer to the COVID-19 Updates page
We understand that this time can be difficult and overwhelming for many. Please be aware that more time in the day will be spent waiting for hand washing, and less time spent doing activities than any previous recreational programming that DDGC has hosted.
**COVID-RELATED GYM CLOSURES:
In the event of a Covid-related shutdown, DDGC will not issue a refund if it is two weeks or less. If it goes beyond 2 weeks, DDGC will refund or credit the remaining classes. Credits will be kept on the account until June 30th.
Recreational Gymnastics - extra tidbits
- Participants wear fitted, tucked-in t-shirts with shorts or fitted leggings, or a leotard
- All participants must be barefoot in the gymnasium. If a participant has warts or athlete's foot, socks with grips on them or bandages must be worn
- No jewelry other than studded earrings are permitted
- Hair that can interfere with vision must be tied back and away from the face
- No bobby pins, bows, bobbled ponytail holders, or decorative hair pieces are allowed in gymnasium, as they may damage the equipment
- Bring a refillable water bottle preferably with participant's name on it